Performs a variety of clerical tasks to assist in the processing of a variety of health department records and providing clerical support to other staff. Completes various documents with information from the client or from file documentation, and assists in maintaining record keeping systems. Performs data entry and may generate reports
Essential Job Functions
• Receives clients and their families at a clinic or screening site. Coordinates initial interview, screens for insurance coverage, gathers background information, and assists in the completion of various forms and applications. May triage clients. Processes various applications to verify client information, checking data for accuracy and completeness. Contacts clients to verify and update information and verify appointments. Makes appointments, collects donations, and refers clients to other providers.
• Greets the public in person as well as by telephone. Answers questions regarding departmental procedures and requirements, program requirements, scheduling information, and other activities. Takes messages and schedules appointments for staff and schedules clients for testing, for programs, or clinics. Assists clients in filling out forms and reviews documents for proper completion. May serve as receptionist and greet the public in person as well as by telephone.
• Monitors client folders assuring that proper documents are completed to ensure appropriate client billing of account. Adjusts and records all related documents, orders, costs for services rendered, and related fees as needed.
• Assists in the maintenance of departmental filing systems by ensuring proper filing of documents and folders. Retrieves materials from system and conducts searches for necessary documentation.
• Operates computer terminal for entry of data such as service activity data, billing information, supplies used, immunization records, case notes, payments, vouchers, client information, changes and deletions of demographic information, and other data.
• Prepares, sorts, processes and files a variety of forms, applications, documents and records in accordance with departmental procedures and program guidelines.
• May perform routine bookkeeping tasks such as reviewing invoices and receivables, receipting donations, tracking expenditures, and receipting payments for services.
• Provides outreach and education to clients and medical staff regarding program guidelines and health department services through mailings, displays, telephone contact and in person.
• Performs a variety of clerical support tasks such as making copies, opening, sorting and distributing mail, sending faxes, taking messages, and related tasks.
• All other duties as assigned.
Education: High school graduation or equivalent.
Experience: One year of general clerical experience is required. May require experience and training in various computer software and equipment.
Other Requirements: Possession of a valid Michigan driver’s license.